Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Joe Connelly's kick-off speech?

Calgary's list of mayoral candidates is probably one of the worst-kept secrets. For months, everyone has pretty much had a pretty good idea who was going to be running. 

So when Ward 6 Ald. Joe Connelly put out a press release Tuesday alerting people about a Wednesday press conference, it was pretty transparent Cowboy Joe — who isn't much of a cowboy — would be tossing his Smithbilt into the ring.

It was made even more plain when http://joeformayor.ca made the rounds. The partially completed website, with photo placeholders and Latin filler text was made the butt of jokes on Twitter, leading to one wag to dub Joe "Quick Draw Connelly." 

Not surprisingly, the website was taken down, but not before someone sent me a copy of what looks suspiciously like the sort of thing a mayoral candidate would say at a campaign kickoff.

Full of flowery language about western values, and the shining beacon Calgary can be, it is what can be expected so far away from the Oct. 18 election date.

I imagine he will be rolling out actual policy planks at a later date.

But as far as the (possible) speech goes, if you weren't planning on attending the kickoff Wednesday, have a read:


Calgarians inherently have a work hard, play hard attitude. We know Calgary is the city where successful and significant business deals can still be done on a handshake. We are a city where the quality of life is a beacon to people around the world who choose to call this place home. 


A place rooted in a rich history of western values that gave us our strong foundation of today. A place where, when we find ourselves riding through hell, well, we just keep riding. A city of people who do not give up, who see their world as a glass half full, and who know how to fill it to the brim. 


It is this fiercely proud Calgary heritage that I chose to adopt when I travelled from Toronto as a young and adventurous 19 year old. My plan was to spend 3 days here before settling into the west coast region where I thought I wanted to earn my education, build my career and eventually raise a family. But then I experienced this great city. I tasted a quality of life that is the envy of so many. Calgary afforded me opportunity after opportunity to excel as an entrepreneur, to develop as a senior executive and most recently, prior to Alderman, to serve as Vice President of Tourism Calgary. It was the tourism industry where I experienced first-hand the famous reputation Calgary enjoys on the world stage. 


I was successful because Calgary is successful. Because Calgary offers an environment that nurtures and rewards those with passion and ambition. 


My commitment to this city grew day after day, and I came to realize that this was not a stop along the way, but the place I would choose to earn my Bachelor of Commerce degree at the University of Calgary, and pursue a successful and rewarding career. 


However, while my passion for my home is unwavering, I do see tiny cracks forming in Calgary’s foundation that have the potential to tarnish our city. Small cracks that can turn into irreversible damage if we do not have the courage to make the changes needed to restore our strength and reputation as a world-recognized city. 


It was at this point I realized that I could not be an armchair critic nor simply complain about the hotly-debated issues of the day. I looked at it as an opportunity to make Calgary a better place by getting involved. That’s when I made my next career move into municipal politics and was elected Alderman of Ward Six in 2007, successfully defeating a two-term incumbent with one of the largest upsets in Calgary’s history. 


I remain that fiercely proud Calgarian. I enjoy the lifestyle that this city exudes, and I want to lead it through its next phase with Calgarians on the team. 


Today I am asking you to imagine, with me, what your Calgary of tomorrow looks like. To author the next chapters of our future together. To join me as we build a city that makes us all proud to call home. 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:51 AM , Blogger Atypical Albertan said...

Welcome Back to blogging.

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home